It’s the Holiday season! For many that means relaxing by a warm fire, reconnecting with friends and family and of course, Holiday Parties. We all want to look our best at these big end-of-year events, but in the season of overeating, it’s easy to slip into bad habits. Maybe you want to tone those arms or shed a few pounds in the last stretch of 2016 or perhaps get a heads start on your New Year’s fitness resolutions. Whatever is your reason, adjustable kettlebells are a great way to build some muscle, lose that unwanted weight and boost your overall fitness levels, all from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t have time to read? Here are our top 5 recommendations:
- Rocketlok 24-36 Adjustable Kettlebell
- Rocketlok 14-20 Adjustable Kettlebell
- Titan Fitness 5lb to 40lb Adjustable Kettlebell
- PowerBlock Kettle Block
- Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell
Benefits of Using Adjustable Kettlebells
Adjustable kettlebells are one of the most commonly used weights equipment out there and a must-have for your at-home workout. You can find them in a variety of different weights and are incredibly effective for achieving a full-body workout in a short period. What’s more, they’re affordable too!
Adjustable kettlebells provide the added benefit over conventional kettlebells of having the option to add on weight as you build muscle and improve your fitness. This is a huge bonus, as you can continually challenge and improve yourself as you grow stronger, so your growth never has to get stagnant.
Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews
- Solid Steel Construction: This traditional looking kettlebell features a solid steel construction that is incredibly durable and sturdy and is built to last a lifetime.
- Cylinder Weights: Instead of the traditional plates, the Rocketlok utilizes cylinder weights made from solid steel. You don't need any tools to remove the weight and the slide locking mechanism makes it very easy to adjust the weights.
- Compact: The Rocketlok is a very compact piece of equipment that makes it very easy to store. At the height of 9 inches and width of 8 inches, it's a piece of cake to store these kettlebells in any closet when not in use.
- 24-36lbs Weight Range: This Rocketlok adjustable kettlebell features a 23-36lb weight range, which is suitable for intermediate/advanced users or those moving up from Rocketlok's smaller weight unit. The kettlebell comes in four adjustments; 24lbs, 28lbs, 32lbs, 36lbs.
- Solid Center of Gravity: The balance and center of gravity of the Rocketlok stay consistent at every weight, which is a huge benefit while performing your kettlebell training, so you'll see results and reach your goals quicker.
- No Rattling Movement: Another great design feature is that there is no rattling or movement of the weight while you're using the kettlebell. This is great for people who find noisy kettlebells annoying.
- Easy To Adjust Weights: The tool-less design and simple slide locking mechanism make it very easy to adjust the cylinder weights, so you'll be able to increase of decrease the weight very easily with little delay.
- Low Weight Range: The only true disadvantage to the Rocketlok adjustable kettlebells is the relatively low weight range. With only four adjustment options, you'll have to size-up eventually, which may cost you more down the line. However, this kettlebell is very inexpensive, and if you were to purchase this and the lower weight range model, you'd have a great beginner set that would see you through the beginner, intermediate and advanced stages of your kettlebell training.
- Wide Handle: It's a very small issue, but the handle of the Rocketlok adjustable kettlebell is pretty wide. This might make it difficult to hold for women or men with smaller hands. This is a minor issue, however, and it's unlikely to cause any major problems.
What You GetYou'll receive the Rocketlok adjustable kettlebell with four adjustment weight cylinders. You'll also receive a 1-year warranty with this product.
- Traditional Design: Like the higher weight range model, the lower range Rocketlok features a traditional kettlebell design with a sturdy solid steel construction and a shape that helps maintain your center of gravity while in use.
- Cylinder Weights: Instead of the traditional plate system of weights, the Rocketlok changes it up a bit by using cylinder weights instead.
- Compact: Even smaller and more compact than the higher weight range model, the Rocketlok 14-20lb model is very compact, so it's easy to store in any closet or corner when not in use.
- 14-20lb Weight Range: The 14-20lb weight range is a great option for beginners with 3 weight increments of 14, 17 and 20lbs.
- Great For Beginners: This lower weight range Rocketlok is a fantastic option for beginners who want to get started with kettlebell training without having to jump straight into heavy weights right away. The 3 weight options also mean you can upgrade slowly as your strength increases.
- Smooth Workout: The Rocketlok provides a very smooth workout thanks to the cylinder weights that don't rattle or move while in use. Also, due to the traditional shape of the Rocketlok, your center of gravity remains the same even when you adjust the weights, so you'll maintain your balance for a more consistent workout.
- Easy To Use: Another great pro of the Rocketlok is how easy it is to use. You can adjust the cylinder weights very easily thanks to the tool-less design and slide locking mechanism.
- Low Weight Range: As with the higher weight range Rocketlok, the only real downside to this model is the relatively low weight range. With only three weight increments (with the highest at 20lbs), you will have to upgrade to higher weight range model at some point. However, this is a fantastic model for beginners as it takes the pressure off to reach a very high weight soon after starting.
- Not Suitable For Advanced Users: Of course, because this is great for beginners, it is equally less great for more advanced users. Considering the low weight range, advanced users would find little challenge with this kettlebell. However, advanced users can simply opt for the higher weight range model instead.
What You GetYou'll receive the Rocketlok adjustable kettlebell with three adjustment weight cylinders and a 1 year warranty.
- Cast Iron Construction: The Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell is made of cast iron, with cast iron handle and plate weights. This ensures maximum durability that will last a lifetime, while the cast iron handle is also coated with a powder to protect your hands against friction or injury during exercises.
- Wide Handle: This adjustable kettlebell features a wide handle that allows for a firm and easy grip. You don't have to worry about it slipping from your hands, and you can easily use it with one or two hands.
- Easy Storage: The drop cast iron plates have a flat design, which makes this adjustable kettlebell easy to store at home. It doesn't take up much space so you can store it in a closet or under your bed, great for those without much storage space.
- 5-40lb Weight Range: The Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell offers an amazing weight range of 5-40lbs with 6 adjustable weight levels.
- Large Weight Range: The large weight range of the Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell is one of the best around with 6 weight levels from 5lbs up to 40lbs. This makes it a fantastic option for everyone from beginners right up to advanced users who want to build strength and endurance. The weight levels increase gradually allowing you to increase your resistance slowly, ideal for strength training.
- Easy To Use: This adjustable kettlebell will save you time with how easy it is to assemble and use. The adjustable weights are incredibly easy to change, making it simple to increase and decrease your weight level. The powder coating on the cast iron handle also makes it easier to use, and it will protect your hands from injury and friction during exercise.
- Great Bargain: The Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell is really a fantastic bargain. With the large weight range, you only need this one kettlebell to replace multiple single kettlebells, and the weight range takes you from beginner to advanced, covering you for a wide range of training needs.
- Metallic Smell: The cast iron plates gives off a slight metallic smell, which some users may find offputting. However, this is a small price to pay for a fantastic adjustable kettlebell and the smell will lessen over time.
- Can Cause Some Bruising: Due to the cast iron construction, you should be careful when using the Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell as it can cause some mild bruising if you hit the plates off your arms while in use. However, this is easily avoided by being careful and using proper technique and is an easy tradeoff for the high quality cast iron construction.
What You GetYou'll receive the Titan Fitness adjustable kettlebell with 6 adjustment weight from 5lbs to 40lbs. You'll also receive a 1-year limited warranty.
- Unique Design: The colorful, unique design of the PowerBlock kettlebell will make you want to show it off to visitors. With colorful weights and a handy weight guide in the black block frame, this kettlebell is stylish enough to want to show off.
- Metal Construction: Featuring a hard metal construction with a plastic outer coating, this kettlebell is solid and sturdy and very durable.
- Weight Guide: Beneath the handle on the PowerBlock is a handy weight guide, which makes it very easy to identify the desired weight setting.
- Two Weight Ranges: The PowerBlock is a great kettlebell for Beginners and Advanced users featuring a large variety of weight. It comes in two weight range options, 5-20lbs (with increments of 5, 8, 12, 16, 20lbs) and 8-40lbs (with increments of 8, 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40lbs).
- Easy to Use: One of the best features of the PowerBlock is how easy it is to use. The handle doesn't move around and is very comfortable to hold and is easy to hold with one or two hands. The handy weight guide also makes it very easy to check the current weight setting and to adjust it with the selector pin.
- Very Durable: The PowerBlock has a very durable build quality. Even when dropped or knocked against, it maintains it's appearance with no scratches or damage. There's also no vibrations or rattle of weights as you workout.
- Large Weight Range: The two model options 5-20lbs and 8-40lbs make the PowerBlock a great adjustable kettlebell to choose for both Beginners and Advanced users. The large weight range replaces 5 single kettlebells, and you can even get an expansion to take you through to 55lbs.
- Price: The PowerBlock is one of the higher priced adjustable kettlebells on the market and the most expensive on our list so it could be out of budget for some people. However, the investment you make with the PowerBlock will be a great one as you'll get fantastic build quality and a large weight range with the option of an expansion to last you a long time in your strength training routine.
- Sharp Edges: One small thing to note is that the edges of this adjustable kettlebell can be quite sharp. Due to its stylish block design, the edges aren't smooth, so if you catch your arms on the edges, it could lead to some bruising. However, this is simply a precautionary warning and it's unlikely you'd hurt yourself if you use the PowerBlock safely.
What You GetYou will receive either the 5-20lbs PowerBlock Kettle Block with 5 adjustable weights or the 8-40lbs PowerBlock Kettle Block with 8 adjustable weights. You'll also receive a Lifetime home use warranty.
- Ergonomic Design: The Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell is ergonomically designed to be very easy to use. The click and twist design makes it easy to adjust the weights, and the wide grip handle is very comfortable to hold to ensure a smooth workout.
- Targeted Towards Women: This is an adjustable kettlebell that is specifically designed for women and as such features a soft finish to protect hands and nails, a handle design specifically to fit a women's hand and a lower weight range.
- Workout DVD: The Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell also comes with a workout DVD, "Swing Yourself Fit Total Body Workout DVD", featuring trainer Gin Miller to help show you some fun kettlebell workouts.
- 5-12lb Weight Range: The low weight range is great for beginners and women with three weight increments of 5, 8 and 12lbs.
- Designed For Women: The Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell is the most popular adjustable kettlebell on the market for women and with good reason. The low weight range makes it easy for women just starting out with weight training and the comfortable handle is specifically designed for the female hand. The soft finish ensures a smooth and comfortable workout, without damaging your hand or nails and the pretty teal color makes for a very stylish look.
- Easy To Use: The ergonomic design and comfortable wide-grip handle make the Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell very easy to use. The click and twist design makes it very easy and quick to adjust the weights, and the soft finish means it's very comfortable to use without risking damage to your hands or nails.
- Affordable: Another great pro of the Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell is the low price tag. The cheapest option on our list, this is a great adjustable kettlebell for beginners who want to get into kettlebell training without splurging on a more expensive item they're not sure they'll use.
- Small Weight Range: The Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell has a very small weight range with the lowest weight being 5lbs and the highest only 12lbs. This makes it not ideal for advanced users or men who want to start with a higher range. However, for the target audience, women, this is a nice and easy range to start at, especially if you've never had any weight training before. This is also good for people who want to start off with kettlebell training but aren't sure if they want to commit to it so higher weights could go unused.
- Plastic Shell: The plastic outer shell means that this isn't a very durable option for an adjustable kettlebell and the surface can be a little slippery. However, for an adjustable kettlebell at such a low weight range, this doesn't provide much of a disadvantage and the low price tag still makes it a very attractive option for women who want to break into weight lifting comfortably.
What You GetYou'll receive the Empower 3 in 1 Kettlebell, which is 5lbs in its standard body, with two adjustment sand-filled weights that can be added to the body to equal 8lbs and 12lbs. You'll also receive the "Swing Yourself Fit Total Body Workout DVD", featuring trainer Gin Miller.
Adjustable kettlebells offer a wide array of benefits for your health and fitness. We outlined some of the main ones below:
- Adjustable: We’ll get this one out of the way first. The obvious advantage that adjustable kettlebells have over regular kettlebells is that you can adjust the weights. So you can continue to improve your strength without needing to constantly replace single kettlebells.
- Build Strength: This may seem obvious, but adjustable kettlebells are fantastic for building strength. In fact, if you want to increase your strength, kettlebell training is one of the best workouts you can do. You can build strength in your arms, legs, back and abs and with adjustable kettlebells, you can keep adding weight as your strength improves.
- Keeps Your Heart Healthy: Kettlebell training is a very effective cardio workout. As you work out with your adjustable kettlebells, you increase your heart and lung activity, which is great for cardiac health. Kettlebell training can have the same heart-healthy effects as running for several kilometers.
- Lose Weight: Kettlebell training burns a lot of calories and is quickly becoming one of the most widely advertised exercises for weight loss. As you use your adjustable kettlebells, you not only burn calories but also build muscle and speed up your metabolism, which boosts your weight loss further.
- Build Muscle: Again, this may seem obvious but adjustable kettlebells really are fantastic for developing lean muscle and building muscle mass. There are many different kettlebell exercises designed to target specific muscle groups, so you’ll be able to build muscles all over with this great full-body workout.
- Increase Endurance: The more you train with kettlebells, the more your endurance will improve. Continued endurance training should increase your stamina with each session, which is why adjustable kettlebells are great. As you improve, you can continue adjusting the weight, so your training never becomes stagnant.
- Improve Balance: Adjustable kettlebells are also great for training your balance. As you shift the weights, your center of gravity will be thrown, so it’s an excellent training for maintaining balance.
- Improve Flexibility: Another great benefit of adjustable kettlebells is that they improve your flexibility. There are a huge number of kettlebell workouts that can’t be done with regular dumbbells that will help to improve your flexibility.
- Workout At Home: Another obvious but wonderful benefit of adjustable kettlebells is that you can achieve a fantastic workout all from the comfort of your own home. Definitely useful in this cold weather when you’re unwilling to make it to the gym.
- Affordable: One of the reasons adjustable kettlebells are so popular is that, as well as providing a great workout, they’re affordable, so they’re great for people wanting to build a home gym on a budget. Plus, adjustable kettlebells eliminate the option of having to replace your existing kettlebells when you want to up the weight. Forget $1000 gym membership and just buy adjustable kettlebells instead.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Adjustable Kettlebells
So, overall adjustable kettlebells sound pretty great, right? Right. So now that you want to get a set of your own, there are a few things to consider before buying.
- Range of Weights: Even though adjustable kettlebells offer a great range of weight, it’s impossible to find one that will handle every weight available. Look for one in your required weight range. In general, women tend to start off with 22-26lbs and men with 26-30lbs.
- Weight Increases: Also look at each of the weight increases available on the adjustable kettlebell and see if they suit your needs.
- Size: It may seem obvious but is often overlooked. You’ll be using your adjustable kettlebell a lot so look for one that is the right size for you and that you can grip comfortably in your hands.
- Material: The material used in the adjustable kettlebell is a sure sign of the quality. Cast iron or steel are always good options, while plastic should be avoided where possible.
- Warranty: Does the adjustable kettlebell have a warranty? What does it cover? Check to see if your adjustable kettlebell comes with a warranty for an extra piece of mind.
- Price: And of course, you should factor in the cost of your adjustable kettlebell and how much you’re willing to spend.
Tips On How To Choose Adjustable Kettlebells To Suit Your Needs
Finally, before we get into looking at some adjustable kettlebells in detail, there are a few more tips for choosing the right adjustable kettlebell to suit your needs.
- Quality is important with adjustable kettlebells. In some lower quality models, the kettlebell can be flimsy and even unsafe. Always make sure you purchase a quality kettlebell, so you don’t do yourself any damage.
- Adjustable kettlebells can be noisy due to the weights shifting during use. This doesn’t happen with all models so if it’s something that would bother you, then look for models that aren’t noisy.
- There are a few different options in the adjustable kettlebell department. Aside from the traditional plate method used by most adjustable kettlebells, you can also find models where the kettlebell is made up of an empty body that can be filled to add weight.
- Some adjustable kettlebells come with a training DVD. If you feel like you would benefit from a DVD to show you some of the training exercises, look for adjustable kettlebells that come with one.
- If you have back or shoulder problems, unfortunately, adjustable kettlebells may not be for you. If this is the case, you should only use a kettlebell, fixed or adjustable, in the presence of an instructor.